Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Windmill

Our new place on the beach had a large steel pipe sticking out of the ground on one corner of the "yard". As soon as I saw it I thought that it should have some kind of decoration on top of it, a sign or something.

This last weekend I made a windmill to put on top of the pipe. I built it out of metal things that I salvaged from around the village. The blades are actually an old fan from one of the diesel generators that power the village. The tail is cut from the door of an old electric panel that I removed from our storage building. The shaft is made from and old snowmobile jackshaft spinning in bearings made from leftover sled runner plastic.

When the wind blows (seems like almost everyday) it looks great spinning around on the corner of our yard.

C.O.

No comments: