Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Kuspuks


Here's a photo of my latest sewing project. This is the fourth kuspuk I've made for myself. Kuspuks are a traditional style shirt worn here by the ladies in Brevig and by Native people throughout the state of Alaska. I've grown to really love the look and the styling of kuspuks. They are comfortable, beautiful and practical. They are perfect for almost any type of weather. Worn alone, they are loose and amazingly cool. And since they are so roomy, you can easily layer clothes underneath for cold weather. I have a lot of fun finding beautiful fabrics to use and coordinating trims to add around the pockets, cuffs and ruffle. I'm not excited about quilting but I do love all the materials for quilting so this is a perfect way to use the fabrics I like. Now some of you may be saying, "Oh my gosh, she doesn't seriously think that looks good." But keep in mind that styles, tastes and fashion are all influenced by the media and the culture around us. Well, that's what happened to me. I see kuspuks everywhere I go and before long, I want to have a pretty kuspuk too. Here's my collection so far. --AnnMarie


1 comment:

James and Charity said...

Very cool! I especially like the hot pink one.

--Charity