Saturday, February 2, 2008

Around the World Rosie

In 2005 / 2006, we had an interesting winter in Brevig as far as visitors went. We had two parties, yes two, that were walking around the world. The first person to arrive was Rosie. She started her walk in Wales, U.K. in 2003 and arrived in Brevig in October 2005 via her own two feet. She walked across the U.K., Russia and then took a flight across the Bering Strait in order to arrive in Wales, Alaska and continue her journey. Here's a little excerpt from her web site.

"On 2nd October 2003 my 57th birthday, I'm going to set off to run around the world. Making my dream come true and practical necessity, go together. I shall be solo, self supporting and on a very low budget. . . . . The death of my husband Clive from prostate cancer last year, taught me more than anything about how precious life is; How short it can be, that you HAVE to grab life, do what you can while you can, and try to give something back. I'll be trying to raise awareness of the following very special small charities - to represent the world:- The Prostate Cancer Charity, The Siberian Railway Cancer Hospital at Omsk. The Kitezh Community for Orphan Children Orphanage, the hope of the future of European Russia through its children. The Nepal Trust that achieves so much with almost no money, in the Hidden Himalayas.

I am extremely grateful for the generosity of my family and friends, without their help and faith I could not succeed. Regards Rosie."

When she arrived in Brevig I was fortunate enough to meet her and walk with her for a bit on her journey.



I'm sure Rosie has met an unbelievable amount of people. I really came to realized the number of people she's met during a family reunion this past summer. I had seen that she had been through Park Rapids, Minnesota and had spend quite a bit of time there getting some dental work done. Anyway, I have a lot of relatives from near Park Rapids and I started talking with one of my Dad's cousins who works at a little flower shop. I asked if she had heard about Rosie. Turns out she actually got to meet her, how cool is that? We both got to chat with this lady who is walking around the world. We met her just 2 years and 3,000 miles apart. Rosie continues on her journey and is currently in Greenland. Check out her website, it's a pretty neat but totally crazy endeavor. --AnnMarie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing just how small our world can be at times.

James and Charity said...

I was going to make the same comment! Gee, it's a small world!

Another example is people you run into at the airport that you know! Since you guys do so much traveling, have you ever met people at random airports that you know? On our last trip, we met a couple in the MSP airport that attend our church here in Idaho Falls.
--Charity

The Rudstroms said...

It is figuratively a small world but apparently Rosie feels it's literally small enough to walk around. I can't think of a time we saw someone we knew while traveling, however once you get talking to people, we often make connections to people or places we are both familiar with.