Monday, February 4, 2008

Google Reader

I recently learned about Google Reader from my coworker, Ginger. I wanted to pass along the information to anyone else who might be able to benefit from this service. As the Google guy explained on the website, Google Reader is basically "an inbox for the internet". You can subscribe to various web sites or blogs and each time they are updated, it shows up in your "inbox". It's great because I can go to one spot and check to see if any of my favorite blogs have been updated. I can read the posts and look at the pictures right there instead of going from site to site to site. It's free but you do need a google account, which, those of you who use blogger, already have.

Our friend Bill was here for a quick visit and told us about a similar program that he uses called, NetNewsWire. I thought I'd throw that out there for another option.

This may be old news for those of you who are tech savvy (savvy has a strange spelling doesn't it?), but for those of us who are just a little behind the times I hope you can benefit from this little tid bit.

2 comments:

James and Charity said...

Thanks for the tip! I didn't know about Google Reader. I'm not one of those computer savvy people (nonetheless, savvy is a great word!) In fact, I just recently learned by trial and error that in order for my computer to acknowledge my keyboard, the keyboard has to be plugged in BEFORE the computer is turned on. With all the complexity of technology, you'd think a computer could read a keyboard after it was plugged in. Gee, why do these things have to be so complicated (and don't I feel just a little silly!
--Chartiy

Anonymous said...

I use MyYahoo (http://cm.my.yahoo.com/) for the same purpose. I can subscribe to feeds from blogs and news site, as well as things like CarTalks weekly Puzzler. It's like my own personal newspaper. It's particularly nice if you use Yahoo email, as they are linked together.