Monday, January 21, 2008

New Jewelry


I just purchased a new set of jewelry for myself. They were made by a local carver. Since I really liked the pieces and hadn't seen anything like it for sale before, I bought them. They're the 3rd coolest pieces of jewelry I own (1st and 2nd are the rings C.O. made me). The beads are made out of a combination of walrus ivory and mastodon ivory. That's right, the dark ivory used to be protruding from a woolly mammoth's mouth and now I wear it as jewelry. I didn't have to chase the hairy elephant off of a deadly cliff to obtain the ivory or anything. I just wrote a good old modern day check. Mammoth tusks happen to just stick out of the tundra here and there. So, folks take them, sell them or carve with the old ivory. It's these sort of things that really blow my mind and remind me how cool life is here in Brevig. --AnnMarie

1 comment: