Wednesday, April 16, 2008

7 Random Bits

My friend Christina, aka, The Northern Cheapskate, tagged me on her blog to tell seven random things about myself. So, here it is.

1) I can do this with my tongue.



2) The Sami connection:
When C.O. and I met, I was working at Ironworld and wearing a Sami dress. I would talk to the tourists that came through and tell them about the lives of the Sami and about the little sod hut I was sitting in. Just a few short years later, I moved to Brevig. I started learning a bit about the history of Brevig and found another Sami connection. At the turn of the century, the folks up here weren't doing so well because of the low number of caribou. So, the government flew up some reindeer and some reindeer herders, the Sami, to teach the Eskimos here how to herd them. But they didn't want to come unless they had a Lutheran minister who spoke Norweigen. Pastor Brevig was the one who came.


3) I once spent a long weekend in Finland with my old friend Jussi Seppa. There I saw the only hockey game of my life.

4) Brushes with fame. I've only encountered two people who are considered famous. In college I attended a Mandy Patinkin (he played Inigo Montoya in the Princess Bride) concert with my friend Bett. Afterward, I got the chance to shake his hand. Then when C.O. and I were in New Orleans having lunch, James Carville walked in and ordered some take out. We were the only two customers in the place.

5) I have crooked pinkies.



6) I have eaten raw fish and whale.

7) I love to clean up and organize things. --AnnMarie

I'll tag a few people here to also share seven random things about themselves.

Charity


Erin


Krista

The Bayleys

Soren

5 comments:

Christina said...

Thanks for playing, AnnMarie! I really wasn't expecting the photos! By far, your seven random things have been the most interesting! :-)

By the way, we LOVED the video of Harold talking on his cell phone. :-)

Becki said...

Done - that was fun, thanks! :)

James and Charity said...

This looks like a lot of fun! It's 10pm here and we're headed out of town for the weekend, but I'll do it when I get back! Besides, that will give me lots of time to think. :P

AnnMarie, I can't believe that you're from Minnesota and have only seen one hockey game in your life! I bet it was a good one though.
--Charity

James and Charity said...

Okay, I listed my random bits! Krista, I'm waiting for yours next.... :)

Charity

Anonymous said...

It might be a little late, but I've now participated with my list.