Saturday, December 15, 2007

Sally Ann Cookies

Someone just asked me for this recipe so I decided to post it here. They're just so good the recipe is begging to be shared. It's a cookie I remember my Aunt Patty making every Christmas. They are a little tedious to make but definitely worth the work. --AnnMarie

Sally Ann Cookies


Dough:
1 c. butter 1 c. molasses
1 ½ c. sugar ½ c. hot coffee
1 tsp. salt ¼ tsp. cloves
½ tsp. nutmeg 2 tsp. baking soda
6 c. flour

Mix and chill dough for 1 hour. Roll out ¼ in. thick. Cut with cookie cutters. (My aunt cut them using the top of a Spam can.) Bake at 350 for 10 min.

Frosting:
1 pkg. (1 T.) Knox unflavored gelatin
¾ c. sugar pinch of salt
¾ tsp. baking powder ¾ c. cold water
1 ¾ c. powdered sugar 1 tsp. vanilla

In a saucepan sprinkle gelatin on cold water. Add sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer 10 min. Pour over powdered sugar. Beat until foamy. Add water, vanilla and salt. Beat until thick. Frost cookies (quickly, it sets up fast). Stand until firm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting!!! I'm looking forward to making these over break.

Anonymous said...

I have this same recipe from my grandmother. The frosting recipe says to use parfin was rather than the geletin. Has anyone ever tried using the parafin?